Saturday, October 3, 2009

Task 4 Domains of Professional Practice

The domain I have chosen to focus on is #2--classroom environment. I chose this in response to my teacher evaluation at the end of last year. I don't mind sharing that my principal thinks I'm too loud. I speak too loud, so my students speak loudly (most of the time.) In fact, she said that this is my probationary year for "voice control." Other teachers tell me not to worry about it too much, they don't notice my room to be any different than anyone else's. However, if that is something I'm going to be evaluated on more strongly, it is something I need to improve if I want to keep my job! She also said that my classroom is chaotic. I think that is just a normal byproduct of living with 7 children, four cats, fish, and a turtle. I can tolerate a little chaos as long as there is learning going on. For example, she came to my room to observe once. I planned a pair activity with three centers using area, volume, and perimeter with third graders. With 24 students, despite the fact that the students were highly engaged and working hard, she said it was too loud and she couldn't wait to get out of the room because it gave her a headache. She said that many students need it quiet to think and that the noise level was detrimental to their learning. It took about 40 minutes to rotate to the three centers and she felt that they were out of their seats too long which contributed to the chaos. I only had two rules--be safe and be respectful--which was probably too broad for third graders despite all the time I took at the beginning of the year to discuss with them what positives and negative behaviors would fall into those categories.
I definitely feel that respect and rapport if what I'm most comfortable with. My students already know that I love them. I often tell them, "I love you but I don't like it when you (shout out answers, kick others, etc.)
I spent a great deal of time over the summer reading Harry Wong's book First Days of School as well as watching the videos to develop better rules and procedures. I spent the first week of school teaching and modeling those procedures. I review them when I see that the students are getting lax. I introduce procedures and model for new activities as they come about in my planning.
I think that the one that most closely impacts instruction is Establishing a Culture for Learning. I really struggle with motivating students to do their best work and take pride in a job well done. Personally, I think this a common societal problem--work ethic. Getting them to see the importance of what their learning is difficult for me. I can tell them that they need to know this to be able to do their work in third grade but that has not proven to be very motivational! This is where I would like to focus on in this portion of the class.

My question--How do you get kids to value learning and hard work?


My classroom--this year I only have 18 students (a plus!) I just had a smartboard installed so I have a carpet in front of the smartboard which is smack dab in the middle of my dry erase board in the front of the room. I have two small tables in the back of the room that I can pull together for my advanced reading group and pull apart for my smaller reading groups. I have a reading corner with all my books that they can either take to their seats, sit at the tables, or pull a chair over. The chairs are very light weight so easily moveable for all sorts of activities. My desk is in the back corner facing my students. There's also two large areas of open space for them to do group work. I had the desks in a U shape around the carpet but I had to move the students on the right side of the U to face forward in two sets of three because they couldn't handle the distractions and need to face the board. They each sit next to a "reading buddy" that they ask first for assistance, and then me if neither know the answer. This has really helped me to focus on helping those that genuinely need my help rather than be interupted by questions that a friend could answer. I reward 100's with an M&M. If they "stay on green" all day, they get a sticker for their behavior card. If they get all green days (kept track of in their student planner), they get Hubba Bubba bubble gum. After 20 behavior stickers, they turn in their card for a trip to the treasure chest.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Karen,

    Great Post!! I strongly believe the want and passion to learn has to start with the parents in the home environment. I point blank tell parents they have to be involved. I send home a few things at the beginning of the school year to see which parents got the message. If they are not involved they can't complain about my approach or even what the kids are learning. I document our communication......at the high school level, my students have to be accountable and motivated because they are not to far remove from hopefully being out in the work force. Most parents start to realize by high school, they need to be involved or their child may not have the tools to work out in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen,
    That is a question I have too. I was just having this discussion with my team the other day. We are not supposed to give children candy or anything but sometimes we do that. Most students could care less about getting a good grade or getting classroom bucks that we give and they use to buy things on Friday. It just seems like students don't care anymore and I think their homelife has a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Karen!
    I think that some administrators mistake a quiet classroom for a working classroom. It is definitely good for students to talk and interact and HAVE FUN while they are learning. You seem to have taken some major steps to creating a highly structured learning environment. That can only improve what you are already doing. It sounds like you are also helping students to find motiviation for achieving in your classroom. Hopefully, they will internalize this and develop a personal desire to work hard. Don't you think that students work harder when they have some say in the learning objectives or guiding questions?

    ReplyDelete