Sunday, November 15, 2009

In responding to Lane's questions, my quiet days are those that I intentionally speak in a quiet voice and I either use silence, my quiet signal, and/or a bell to get their attention. On my noisy days, I use my voice to get their attention and I don't try to lower my voice during instruction. To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the video and if I will be able to catch what I hope to. I know already that my tone really does set the mood. When I am louder, they are too. I also realize I can't ask them to work quietly when I myself don't "work" quietly. But, as they say, knowledge is 20% and behavior is 80%--it is so much easier to know than to do. I may know I need to balance my checkbook daily but doing it is a whole other story! I know that I need to lower my voice but it really does take conscious effort. I am a passionate teacher and when I get into a subject, my voice naturally rises. The real problem that I see is that when I start to realize that I lose their interest, I start to speak louder in the hopes to get their attention and that is what I really need to change.

2 comments:

  1. You raise some good points- and don't worry if the video does not capture what you are looking for exaclty- I always find that I learn unexpected things as well. I am wondering if you can have the kids help you monitor your voice level. For example, you can have a whole class discusiosn about voice level--both yours and theirs (something like "Sometimes I get so excited that I forget to use my inside voice and like I remind you to use your quieter voice sometimes you can help me remember to use mine as well" - and then maybe you can work out a hand signal or something that the kids can give you when your voice rises (and you can use the same with them).
    Just an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea. We are learning sign language to go with hearing impared portion of Everybody Counts program. I need to find out what kind of sign would be appropriate or we could make up our own.

    ReplyDelete